Friday, December 16, 2011

Renunciation - Prince Siddhartha

I was surprised beyond my wits when I came across this painting on the internet. It is unbelievable but true that this was the creative work of a youth in Europe in the nineteenth century.  Later I was to learn that during the Victorian age, western youth were inspired by the idea of renunciation.  It was also considered fashionable to look East during this period in History where the orient was attractive and mystical. Maybe this painting was the beautiful result of such a “burn of inspiration.”

The painting itself, done in oil on canvass, is a brilliant portrayal of the artist’s imagination. I am at a loss to explain Chevalier’s skill in depicting his “Mano Sankhara- the picture in his mind ” so cleverly. He indeed is a master.  It certainly makes an impact in anybody’s mind.